Pig on a Spit in Newcastle
Hey Campers! BBQ BOB here. Are you thinking of having a pig on a spit in Newcastle, Mayfield, or in the Maitland area? Rutherford, Port Stephens and Wine Country in the Hunter Valley?
Why not cook a whole pig on a spit in Newcastle. It’s a great party idea for 18th’s and 21st. Weddings, Engagements, Work functions and any reason for a party or a private function.
Furthermore, BBQ Bob Catering has cooked a pig on a spit in Newcastle many times. I, myself prefer to cook whole a lambs on a spit. I must admit that in all consideration that Pork is so much popular in party entertaining. Juicy meat and tasty pork crackling.
I have devised a recipe that is the duck’s nuts for a pig on a spit for you to enjoy. Tasty and definitely worth having a go at this with minimal fuss. Please note that the rock salt, the water spray and the canola oil spray can is the key.
Getting Started: The Simple Way
• 20kg-25kg (approximately) whole pig
• 2 Boxes of Fireband Brickets (Suggested)
• 1x 1 ltr canola Oil
• 1 bottle of Crushed Garlic
• 200g Himuainan rock salt
• 100g freshly ground pepper
• 1 can of Canola Oil
• 1 Water spray bottle
• 6 Onions
• 30 potatoes
• 1 30mtr foil
• Paper Towel
Method: The easy method. As we can Supply the following)
Rub the salt and canola oil and a light pepper ingredients all over the surface and keep rubbing. Once the oil is on the pig, grind the salt as to finish all over the oily skin. A spray of rock salt when then the heat is up is recommended. The inside of the beast cavity needs to be coated with oil or your favorite spice, garlic and/or onion. Onion salt or flakes can be an option. Apples whole can be an option and pulled out when dripping and cooked. Don’t go wild !!!!
When you attach the Beast to the spit:
• You attach the skewer with BBQ BOB 1600mm long stainless bar. (1.6 metres) You have 2 large prongs.
• Pass the skewer through the front and back cavities of the pig
• Pierce N brace through the spine of the pig or Lamb so that the U shape of the back brace straddles the skewer and the flat plate is on the back of pig or lamb
• Insert one large prong through each sets of legs
• Bend the legs to fit inside the V shape of the leg brackets and use some wire to hold in place.
• Stitch up the stomach cavity if you want either by using wire,(see below) or a needle and thread to seal in the juices.
• If you can't stretch out the front legs, strap up under boy watch there is no burning as the water bottle comes into play. Always use stainless steel wire Attach it to the skewer
Cooking time Thoughts…
Many things will affect your cooking time, however if you allow around 6 to 7 hours to be on the safe side. Always use your temperature skewer and if cooked, your meat will be at the leg at 71deg… It's ready. Alfoil potatoes and place on roaster … these will take 45 min. You can always push the brickets to the side and adjust slide area of the roaster to the top of the spit roaster. Please be advised that the cooking process is done and it will only keep warm but doesn’t really keep cooking. The cooking thermometer to test the internal temperature of the fleshiest part of the meat (the legs) and once it gets to 75 degrees, you know it's cooked. Just before the pig on the spit is cooked, put up the heat and lower the pig as close to the charcoal to crisp up the skin. If the skin is moist, use your paper towel to dry it off otherwise you'll struggle to get crackling. If you crackling is burning or getting hard, don’t despair, as at any time cut the crackling off and place on the grill skin up.